Great Uncle
Certain people just touch you deeply and don't let go without putting forth any effort. That's my great uncle. His heart is huge. I wish everyone could know him. I wish I could put it into better words.
But it's hard, because he died this morning and I can't stop crying, dammit.
I can swear to you that he didn't have a mean bone in his body. He had mental retardation, which is the term I was told when I was very young and thought that the reason he was hard to understand had something to do with the prosthesis hook on one arm. So I've always been comfortable with that term, probably because the first time I heard it and for quite some time thereafter, I heard it used properly. I gotta tell ya though, nothing bothers me more on this earth than some asshole slinging around the word "retard" to put down someone else as if they are the better person. They're not. Not ever. Don't fucking do it.
He lived in the same town he was born in for decades. Just about everyone knew him, and if anyone were to ever think of short-changing him at the store, or doing any thing bad toward him, they'd have a whole town to answer to.
His heart was huge. He once bought a boat when I was young just so he could take us out on the lake when we visited. The excuse was that it was for fishing, but this was no fishing boat.
The kids - the kids loved him. They thankfully were able to meet him a few times and they just naturally gravitated to him, and if that's not beauty ---
And those Christmas cards. Damn. I must have only seen him a few dozen times in my life on family visits, but I got those cards every year of my life from him. And every year, wherever I lived, whether I was five or thirty-five, he included a five dollar bill. Even when I was young, I never looked at that five dollars as inadequate. Somehow, it was huge in a whole other sense.
And he didn't just sign his name to the card. He wrote a note; a few sentences. You could tell, with the scraggly, labored writing that it must have taken him an awfully long time to write all that, but he did. Every single time, as long as he still had some eyesight left, he did it himself. I dunno. Just something about that writing, that five dollars, that consistency, that thoughtfulness, was always just the best gift I ever got every single year.
And now I won't get that any more. Which sounds selfish, but damn, it was certainly a wonderful annual reminder of what can be right in this often crappy world.
So I know this isn't eloquent or anything, but I just needed to say something because he died, and it sucks, and I'm going to miss him an awful lot.


13 comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you've made an eloquent testimony about his beauty, his dignity, and the positive, indelible impact of his life on the people around him. I hope my son has a niece someday who loves him so fiercely.
It's a gift in itself that you truly saw his worth and beauty. What a gift he was to your family and your life. I know his imprint will live on. Thanks for sharing his story with us. I hope my daughter is surrounded by people like you who will value and love her!
Thank you both so much. It's comforting to know that somehow, I have allowed other people to know him like I know him.
I keep thinking of stuff. It's always small moments. His crooked smile really did light up a place, because when he did that, you knew that all was right with the world and if it wasn't, he just made it that way.
I remember sitting next to him on the couch at my great-grandmother's house when I was young, and I'd look at the prosthesis and just marvel at how he could make the hooks move. He'd invite me to touch it, and show me how it worked, and we'd laugh about it.
I realize that all these seemingly small things were valuable lessons I was learning from him. I'm not always sure what, or how to put it into words, but they were positive lessons.
I'm so sorry about your uncle.
I agree with anonymous; I think what you wrote is very eloquent. I get a clear sense of what your uncle was like, of what he meant to you, of your relationship. Thank you for sharing.
Oh manxome, I'm so sorry he's gone.
But on a selfish note, thank you for writing about him, because it warmed my heart, and I'm grateful to hear about people like him. It often seems like there aren't very many.
And I have to say, hearing about him taking the time to write a note in the card really got to me.
Violet, thank you. Others being able to get a sense of him means a great deal to me.
SE, the note in the card is not only my favorite memory related to him, but one of my favorite memories period.
Thank you for taking the time to get to know him a little. It means a LOT to me. :)
I'm late to chime in, because I haven't been stopping by recently. I was busy working myself into a lather about the silly details of life that seem so important at the time.
But reading this helped me put things into perspective. Thanks.
I lost my Dad on the same date 9 years ago. Your post is quite beautifully drawn and your uncle comes over as a loving and gentle person. It's a gift to have such lovely memories to hold on to. They increase over time as well, once your pain has diminished. So in time, you will have many happy recollections of him.
mankers - long time;
you made me cry - and every time you take out a 5 dollar bill you'll think of nobody but him; cool.
sorry - above comment is me
sw
sorry - above comment is me
sw
Not every time, SW. But I don't cry -- I smile. :)
either's good by me
Post a Comment